Crisis Management in Psychotherapy (5 CE Hours)
Planning for the Worst in Everyday Scenarios for In-person, Telehealth, and Suicidal Ideation
As the both the traditional settings and geographic limits of counseling and psychotherapy continue to change and expand, there is even greater need for therapists to be mindful around their contingency planning for client safety, as well as other aspects of effective crisis management.
In this course, clinical social worker Tim Kelly walk helping professionals through the process of effective planning for crises in the therapy office, as well as in telehealth settings, so you don’t have to simply hope for the best. The course will offer further guidance on how to be prepared for suicidal ideation & imminent risk situations that can happen in any practice.
Course learning objectives include:
- Define a crisis as it relates to mental health services.
- Evaluate your preparedness for a psychiatric, behavioral, or medical emergency when engaging in psychotherapy services.
- Assess for psychiatric or behavioral emergencies to facilitate referral to a higher level of care.
- Understanding how to utilize safety plans and other crisis tools to navigate mental health crises.
- Outline information necessary to be prepared for most emergencies in your practice.
- Understand methods of improving your practice to be prepared for a crisis.
PsychMaven is responsible for all aspects for this program.
*PsychMaven has been approved by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) as an Approved Continuing Education Provider (ACEP) for both Live/Real Time and Home Study continuing education (CE) Programs. ACEP No. 6624. This program is designed to meet the standards of NBCC content areas no.1 (Counseling Theory/Practice and the Counseling Relationship). PsychMaven is solely responsible for all aspects of this program.
*PsychMaven is a Licensed Social Worker Continuing Education Provider under the Texas State Board for Social Worker Examiners (Provider No. 7751). PsychMaven may provide continuing education to Social Workers certified and/or licensed in that state, and in other states/jurisdictions that accept the Continuing Education (CE) approval of other state Social Work boards. Please contact your state licensing board if you have questions about the acceptability of continuing education (CE) hours.
*Note for Georgia licensed clinicians (LPCs, LMFTs, LCSWs, and Psychologists).
- For Georgia LPCs/LAPCs, PsychMaven's NBCC approval means the continuing education (CE) hours for this training meet criteria for core hours for continuing education under Georgia Rule 135-9-.01
- For Georgia licensed social workers, PsychMaven's Texas Social Work Board approval means the continuing education (CE) hours for this training meet criteria for core hours for continuing education under Georgia Rule 135-9-.01.(5)(c).
- For Georgia LMFTs/LAMFTs, PsychMaven's NBCC approval means the continuing education (CE) hours for this training meet criteria related hours for continuing education under Georgia Rule 135-9-.01
- For Georgia licensed Psychologists, PsychMaven's NBCC approval means the continuing education (CE) hours for this training meet Area V hours under Georgia rules. Contact the Georgia psychology board if you have questions.
*Note for Florida licensed clinicians (LMHCs, LMFTs, and LCSWs). PsychMaven's approval with NBCC is approved automatically for continuing education (CE) credit by the Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage & Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling, pursuant to the rule 64B4-6.002(1)(e)1. However, PsychMaven is not registered with the systems of CE broker. Therefore, CE hours need to be self-reported by following the instructions found at the bottom of each CE certificate.
*Note for Ohio licensed counselors. PsychMaven's approval with NBCC is approved automatically for continuing education (CE) credit by the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board for counselors. However, PsychMaven is not registered with the systems of CE broker. Therefore, CE hours need to be self-reported by following the instructions found at the bottom of each CE certificate.For the latest on the the CE Approvals of PsychMaven, as well as guidance on CE requirements for different disciplines, visit us at www.psychmaven.org/ce-approval.
Timothy "Tim" Kelly (MSW, LCSW, NREMT) is a New Jersey native who has built a career dedicated to responding to emergencies, stabilizing crisis, and managing situations involving many moving parts. He has had multiple years of clinical and social work experience with severe and chronically mentally ill adults and children in the community, working within the hospital and in-home settings, providing group and individual therapy services.
Tim is a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) with a multi-state telehealth practice. Tim is also a Nationally Registered Emergency Medical Technician (NREMT). He additionally has over a decade of experience as a Firefighter/EMT. More on Tim can be found at www.NewFrontierTraining.com
PreviewAccessing/Unlocking Course (After Purchase)
PreviewProgressing through the course (Unlocking Lectures)
StartCourse Handout & Materials
StartPart 1- Course Lecture (78:09)
StartPart 2- Course Lecture (66:37)
StartSuicide Assessment Review (Article)
StartPart 3- Course Lecture (71:02)
StartPart 4- Course Lecture (55:32)
StartStatement of Completion
StartPost-Test & Continuing Education (CE) Certificate